Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Flame Moon - K. J. Jackson (Flame Moon #1)

15848266I'll admit it--I had lower expectations for Flame Moon.  But when I finally read it, I was very pleased.  The story follows Skye, a girl who goes on a kayaking trip in Colorado, falls in the river, and wakes up with no memory.  Without a memory, or really anything else, she is forced to depend on a group of people who are willing to help her until she can figure out where she came from, where she was going, and what she was doing.  A group that includes, I might point out, her super hawtt kayaking guide, Aiden.  Who's engaged to another woman.  Oops.  But the longer Skye stays, the more complicated things get, and they quickly trend into the realm of the supernatural, with the group Skye has fallen in with and Skye herself possessing various powers. There's action, there's romance, there's some cool training scenes, there's sex.  Skye is a strong character who has made mistakes but is willing to struggle on, and while Aiden can be a bit possessive, and definitely wouldn't be a good romantic match for a lot of people, for them it works.
That said...there were still some issues.  There were some run-on sentences, missing punctuation and typos every now and then, but they weren't rampant.  There were a couple of big plotholes, which I would love to discuss but feel like I really can't without spoilers.  Basically, though, someone wants Skye dead or turned evil, and sets up an elaborate plan to do it when in reality they could have just grabbed her from the get-go, and this someone also thinks that doing some things are definitely not in Skye's best interests are to protect her, explanations which I found lacking.  The amnesia plotline and the matter of revealing a supernatural world to Skye results in a lot of info-dumping at the beginning of the book, which is never really a good thing.  While I liked how Skye's returning memories were handled at first, that quickly ended, and suddenly Skye just remembered everything, which was very abrupt, and then suddenly we're expected to make connections with people and events in Skye's memories that were never explained, leaving me a bit baffled as to how Skye knew some of the things she did.  I also thought the "climax" of the book came a bit early, which left a lot of story afterwards that didn't have as much propelling it.  Oh, and the sex was good, but I did get kind of tired of Skye screaming during it all the time.
Still, I found all of those issues relatively minor, and overall I really enjoyed Flame Moon.  I would definitely recommend this to someone looking for a good paranormal romance, I look forward to reading the other two books in this trilogy.
3.5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment